Sixth Form Admissions
Our school, which is an 11-18 coeducational Academy Trust selective school, has specialist status in the Visual Arts and in Science with Maths.
The majority of places in the Sixth Form are taken up by Sale Grammar School students who choose to stay with us beyond Year 11. However, each year 50 places are made available to students who wish to join our Sixth Form from other schools.
OFSTED: Sale Grammar School is an ‘outstanding school with an outstanding Sixth Form'.
Brief Entry Requirements
To qualify for entry into Year 12, within the previous two years students must:
- have achieved a minimum Attainment 8 score of 60 AND
- at least a grade 5 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics AND
- at least a grade 6 in the subjects they wish to study.
In order to study one of the Sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics), students must achieve at least a grade 6 in Mathematics and if Co-ordinated Science was studied at GCSE, two grade 6s must have been achieved. Allowance is made if a student has not taken a GCSE in their chosen course of GCSE study (for example Psychology, Sociology, Government and Politics) but we would expect them to have a grade 6 in a subject where comparable skills are required, such as History or Geography.
Applicants’ date of birth must be between 1st September 2003 and 31st August 2004 (for 2020 entry).
Where eligible applications from new applicants exceed the number of places available, places will be allocated according to the following priority order:-
- ‘A ‘looked after child' or a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence, or special guardianship order as defined in the Admissions Code 2012.
- All new applicants who fulfil the entry requirements.
In the event that there are more applicants in this category than places available the selection process will give priority to students with the highest Attainment 8 score.
If any applicant has the same Attainment 8 score as another applicant for the final place in Categories 1 or 2, the applicant living nearest to the school as measured by a straight line from their home to the main door of the school, will be offered the place.