Free School Meals
FREE SCHOOL MEALS
It is very important that we know who is entitled to free school meals, not only so that we can provide your child with a lunch free of charge, but also because we receive additional funding which we can then use to support your child within the school. This is called pupil premium.
If your child qualifies and is attending Sale Grammar School, you can apply online via this link https://www.cloudforedu.org.uk/ofsm/sims-trafford.
Sale Grammar School can only issue free school meals to those students whose applications are approved by the Online Free School Meals (OFSM) system.
Please find below some information that you may find useful regarding free school meals:
What information do I need to apply for free school meals?
The online application will require you to input the following details, please have these to hand:
- Your own name and date of birth
- Contact details
- National Insurance Number or National Asylum Seekers Number
- Child’s name and date of birth
- School your child is attending/will attend
Which children qualify for free school meals?
Your child may qualify if you have any of these incomes:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400.00)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190).
Children who receive these benefits themselves instead of through a parent or carer can also qualify for free school meals.
Your child may qualify if you are an asylum seeker.
I have more than one child at the school can I make one application?
No. You will need to make an application for each child.
My child receives free school meals at their current school, they are moving to Sale Grammar School, do I need to tell you?
If your child attends a school that is using OFSM then the school they attend can go onto the OFSM system and transfer the student’s eligibility to Sale Grammar School. Once they have done this we will receive a notification from the OFSM system and will be able to provide free school meals for your child.
If the school are unable to do this, or, if your child attends a school that does not use OFSM then you will need to click the link at the top of the page to make an application.
What happens once it is confirmed that my child is eligible for free school meals?
- The OFSM system will alert us that your child is eligible and we will update our records.
- The current free school meals allowance is £2.38.
- The sum of £2.38 will be placed into your child’s ParentPay account on a daily basis.
- Your child will present themselves at the till in the School Refectory as any other student would to pay for their food. It is not possible for others to identify whether anyone else is eligible for Free School Meals.
- Your child does not have to take to a meal each day if they do not want to, however, that provision is available to them.
- As it is possible that your child will spend over their £2.38 free school meal allowance, we strongly advise that you make a payment into your child’s ParentPay account to account for any overspend.
- At the end of each day, if any of the £2.38 free school meal allowance has not been spent the remainder of that allowance will be removed from the ParentPay account, your child is not entitled to carryover any underspend to the following day.
If you have any queries you can contact the school Administration Team by phone on 0161 973 3217 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Updated September 2020